Saturday, June 13, 2009

Business as usual...

Well my first week back was a bit of a washout to start. Took me most of the week to get my head in the right place for training and I really only got a hold on it yesterday. I've had a woman on my mind so much, that it didn't really dawn on me till this afternoon, the enormity of what I am doing. I think part of why my head was so fried was I didn't realise how daunting the prospect of another year of fighting was. Now that I have I've put it to one side, reminding myself that this year can only be an improvement on the last.
I realised that although my head's not where it should be, there's no reason my body should have to keep it company, so I've got stuck into the training. Trained today til my lungs were blowing like a blast furnace and a tightness in my chest not unlike red hot needles. It's good to be back.
Saw a couple of good fights this week, first George, 'the cruel bull', from Spain or Ess-pain as he says. This was a total war and saw George claw back a decisive victory in the fifth on points. It was close until the last two minutes and then George let go with a series of hard shots that clinched him a unanimous decision. The other fight this week was a young English chap called Ben. Ben's a lovely fella with an equally lovely girlfriend, Emma. He looked as confident as any first-time-fighter I've ever seen, and she as nervous as any first-time-fighters-girlfriend I've ever seen. But she took it well and Ben gave a great account of himself. His nerves maybe kept him a bit tense at the start, and I shouted myself hoarse telling him to keep his guard up, but he kept an unrelenting attack on his Thai opponent who I believe has over 10 fights. A series of unanswered leg kicks, mixed with a liberal sprinkling of heavy hands, with a cracker (literally and figuratively) of a knee thrown in, led Ben to a second round TKO. A prouder smile I have never seen, nor a more relieved girlfriend for that matter.
Since I've got back I've noticed a marked increase in the number of cops out on patrol too. Mind you, they're still nowhere to be found late at night, or indeed, when raining. But the criminals who favour bright, clear afternoons to burgle must be crapping themselves. I even got pulled over the other night but fortunately, the cop didn't have enough English to question me so I sped on my way.
Unless this is your first visit to my blog, you will recall that the hospital e-mailed me after a hepatitis related blood test. The mail read 'You are Mr. David who have blood test with us today? there has been complication. We need to talk.' Anyone else terrified? Anyway, I went along as soon as I could to be told, that the complication we need to talk about was could I pay in installments, not in a lump sum at the end? Any suggestions for ironic revenge, greatly appreciated.
So tomorrows plan is to head up to Pai and scope out the gym up there. I have a feeling it's going to be a better place, based on a few conversations with some seasoned boxers who are in the vicinity. It's as much a recce for them now as for myself. The idea this year is to follow the training, so as soon as one gym starts to lose it's edge, I am gone to the next place. I'm getting too old to develop a loyalty to a second class gym.
The other reason I go to Pai, is to hook up with me very good pal from back home Gav. Gavin once beat up a dozen ostrich chicks for the laugh. So it's up to him for a few days then back to Chiang Mai to watch him fight on Monday night, then back to Pai I guess. I won't have got much time in at the gym so I don't know if I'll move up straight away. I'm now at a crossroads. The gym in Pai has better trainers but the gym in Chiang Mai is nearly empty again, which means a lot more time with the coaches. Decisions, decisions....

1 comment:

  1. the link from your old blog goes to ....gym2.blogspot when it should be ...gymii.blogspot.

    It looks right but it goes to the wrong place.

    Get on MSN too!!

    Tom.

    ReplyDelete