Sunday, July 12, 2009

Once bitten

Went out for 'one' drink on Saturday. That's an Irish 'one' rather than any sort of empirical measurement. Got bitten by a dog in one of the bars. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, everything else in the country's been having a taste. Anyway, I remember thinking I better go for a tetanus shot but on my way to hospital I thought I was way too drunk so I just went home instead. At 10kmh. It took forever. Fortunately I didn’t develop rabies but it would have been hard to tell the difference on Sunday morning.
So now I've moved back to Pai. Another few hundred kilometres through the jungle on the moped and one hell of a tan. Sunday was supposed to be my last day but a massive hangover put it back by a day. And an unreliable bus service put it back by another, but I made it in the end.
I made the mistake of going for the first place that had all my criteria without really checking it out properly. So now I live in a house in another poxy mangrove. It looked grand on the first day but by the second night I realized I was living in an exact replica f the insect exhibit at London zoo. There's a gravity defying frog in my bathroom who lives in the toilet but is kind enough to jump onto the wall when he sees you approaching, a spider the size of my hand. I've never really had a problem with spiders, but when the’re big enough to see their facial expressions, you start to wonder if nature isn’t out to get you. There's something living in the attic that gets very active after dark. Best case scenario it's a bird that’s got trapped but from the amount of scratching and burrowing it's more likely a large mouse or a small rat. Although with any luck it'll run afoul of the bee's nest which is also in the attic, not far from my head. The only solution I've thought of is to befriend two of the local cats and entice them into my place with bowls of milk in the hope they'll catch it or at least make the place smell a little less rodent friendly. I've been earnestly looking for a new place for the last few days. Don't get me wrong here, I like nature. Just not all of it at once. If I get a yearning for a ton of nature in my sitting room I can always stick David Attenborough on the box.
So I'm back into the training now, after nearly a week off although as I write this I am recovering from another night on the sauce courtesy of Jenny Campbell. If you've never seen her and are curious what she looks like, just look on my left shoulder any Saturday night. She'll be the one dressed in red. With horns, a tail and a trident, extolling the virtues of Vodka and chocolate into my ear on an almost subliminal level.
It's back down to Chiang Mai tomorrow after training to watch one of the guys fight and to get a few things I forgot to bring. Not least of which are a few ingredients for my chicken salads which I'll be eating for the next 9 months or so.
That's all for now. There'll be more when I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment